Eric Lempel, VP, Network Operations have announced the availability of PlayStation 3 firmware 3.40. In addition, PlayStation Plus is now available on PlayStation Network (PSN), currently the update is live on US network, we should be able to see update going live later tonight on Asia’s PSN.
PS3 firmware 3.40 introduces a few additions such as:
- PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
- PSP firmware 6.30 will also go live in conjunction with the new PS3 firmware .
The facebook app for PlayStation Network is also available now, you can display your PSN profile on your Facebook account and able to locate if your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a Add Network friend request. Along with that, you can also view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile..