Could Kojima be at it again? Those of you who were watching the Spike Video Game Awards might have noticed a seemingly-innocuous trailer for Phantom Pain, under development by previously-unheard-of Swedish developer Moby Dick Studio.
The trailer in question can be viewed below (click here if the embedded video doesn’t load):
Notice anything suspicious? Users on the NeoGAF forums did, and they’ve come to the conclusion that the trailer is actually a teaser for Metal Gear Solid 5. Observe:
Convenient how the logo happens to have spaces in all the right places, isn’t it? Here’s a list of some other points of interest:
- Joakim Mogren is the founder of Moby Dick Studios. Joakim is an anagram for Kojima (Kojima Productions’ boss Hideo Kojima).
- According to their Whois record, MobyDickStudio.se has only existed since November 19, 2012.
- The man in flames looks like Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater‘s Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin.
- The hallucinating petals look similar to those from Metal Gear Solid 3‘s ending.
- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes‘ Snake bears similar facial scars to the character in the trailer.
- The word “phantom” is used in the tagline for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes: “Two phantoms were born.”
A forum member has also identified Kyle Cooper, who previously designed title sequences for Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, in the photograph below (he’s the one on the right). The photo was taken at a Konami Party after the Video Game Awards.
The evidence is mostly circumstantial so far, but given Kojima’s reputation for trolling his fans it is entirely possible that this subterfuge was done deliberately in order to fuel speculation and cause the video to go viral.
More pictures and screenshot comparisons can be found at the original thread.