Suda51, the man responsible for cult hits like No More Heroes and Killer is Dead, is teaming up with the director of Akira to kill modern Japan.
Short Peace is an omnibus of four animated shorts directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira, Steamboy) and created by some of the top creators in the anime industry. As the fifth part of the project, Suda51 is working with Tokyo Jungle director Youhei Kataoka and No More Heroes artist Yuusuke Kozaki to create the PS3 game Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day (Tsukigime Ranko no Ichiban Nagai Hi).
The story is centered around Ranko Tsukigime, an only child whose family owns an underground business conglomerate that controls all of the parking lots in Japan. During the day, she is an average schoolgirl — but at night, she’s a hitman who assassinates anyone who opposes her corporation! (Read more about Suda51’s games on SGCafe)
Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day is a high-speed side-scrolling action game in which you run from enemies and fight them with “effects”. We’re not quite sure what these effects do, but judging from this trailer, they look… crazy and psychedelic.
Ranko’s adventure takes several elements of Japanese culture and mashes them together. Similarly, Short Peace is themed around Japan and includes these animated shorts:
Hi no Youjin
- Director/Scriptwriter: Katsuhiro Otomo
- Character Design/ Visual Concept: Hidekazu Ohara
- Music: Makoto Kubota
- Director/Scriptwriter: Shuhei Morita
- Original Story/Concept Design: Keisuke Kishi
- Director: Hiroaki Andou
- Original Story/Scriptwriter/Creative Director: Katsuhito Ishii
- Character Designer: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
Buki yo Saraba
- Director/Scriptwriter: Hajime Katoki
- Original Story: Katsuhiro Otomo
- Character Design: Tatsuyuki Tanaka
If you’re interested in these animations, you can watch this trailer before it comes to theatres on July 20.