5) Tomonoura, Hiroshima Prefecture (Ponyo)
4) Hakone, Kanagawa Prefecture (Neon Genesis Evangelion, can also count for Yowamushi Pedal)
3) Shonan, Kanagawa Prefecture (Slam Dunk)
2) Seiseki-Sakuragaoka Train Station (Whisper of the Heart)
1) Higashimurayama, between Tokyo and Saitama (My Neighbor Totoro)
Wow, all 20 places featured in the rankings are on many “When I go to japan, I will visit____” lists, however, Totoro’s Higashimurayama, which Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki himself is helping maintain, is on top of many people’s list.
The list also features a few upsets with Oarai, one of today’s hottest anime tourism destinations only making it to #12 and Iwatobi barely making it to the list at #20.
Don’t miss a single update from SGCafe! Follow us on Twitter: @SGCafe
Want to know more about anime-based travel destinations? Read more about them here on Sgcafe!
Also join in on the community’s discussions at http://forums.sgcafe.com