Even with a global pandemic ongoing, Famitsu and Dengeki still went on with their Famitsu Dengeki Game Awards 2019. However, rather than an awarding ceremony, they held a livestream with written comments from the winners for each award. And now, they have announced the winners, and Pokemon Sword and Shield won the big one, snagging Game of the Year! It also won the Best RPG award as well.
Aside from Sword and Shield, Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding won big as well. It won the Best Rookie Award, Best Action Adventure Award, Best Character Award (for Sam Porter Bridges), and Best Graphics Award. Hideo Kojima himself won MVC: Most Valuable Creator, as well as Best Creator in China Award.
Other winners include:
- Best Indie Award: Gnosia
- Best Shooter Award: Apex Legends
- Best e-sports Award: Fortnite
- Best Online Game: Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
- Best Streamer: Junichi Katou (Unkochan)
- Best Action Award: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Best Adventure Award: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
- Best Game in China Award: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Best Music Award: Persona 5 Royal
- Best Scenario Award: 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
- Famitsu Dengeki Special Award: Dragon Quest Walk and Ring Fit Adventure
With the exception of the China-based awards, Japanese gamers voted for the nominees between January 28 and February 17. They then announced the nominees last April 7 before announcing the winners last weekend.
Don’t miss a single update from SGCafe! Follow us on Twitter: @SGCafe
Source: Dengeki Famitsu Livestream