As previously revealed, a huge majority of PS4 games can be played with the upcoming PlayStation 5 console. However, a very small percentage of them cannot. Now, the official PlayStation website has revealed which disc-based PS4 games are not playable with the PS5.
PS4 only games:
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
These games will receive the “PS4 Only” label in the PlayStation Store. This is because compatible PS4 games’ digital and physical versions will be playable for the PS5.
The official PlayStation website detailed the backwards compatibility as:
- Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console’s Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate.
- Although many PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
- Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.
- Please note, playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PlayStation VR headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required).
- Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.
As for playing your saved PS4 games on your new PS5, Sony says that it is possible too. Here’s how they explained it:
You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.
Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.
For Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, when players decide to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 their game saves will transfer.* Sackboy: A Big Adventure also will support game save transfers from PS4 to PS5 in an update that will be delivered shortly after the release of the game.* We’ll share additional details on both games closer to launch.
But while PlayStation 4 games will be available to play for the new PS5, the same cannot be said with older generations of the console. These include the PS3, PS2, and original PlayStation consoles. As for the new console itself, it will launch on November 12 in the United States, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea. It will then launch for the rest of the world on November 19th, 2020. The new release dates reflect all previous PlayStation releases, which are usually within the fourth quarter of the year. Expect them to announce more games fore the new console soon.
Don’t miss a single update from SGCafe! Follow us on Twitter: @SGCafe
You can also read more about anime here on SGCafe.
Also join in on the community’s discussions at http://forums.sgcafe.com